Monday 11 May 2015

I CAN DO IT ALL!




In the UK, there was a diabetes blog theme of "I can...”  that participants found wonderfully empowering.  So lets kick things off this year by looking at the positive side of our lives with diabetes.  What have you or your loved one accomplished, despite having diabetes, that you weren't sure you could?  Or what have you done that you've been particularly proud of?  Or what good thing has diabetes brought into your life?


This is my first time participating in the diabetes blog week and I'm new at blogging. 

When I was diagnosed with diabetes I was told a number of things I can't do...I can't eat this anymore, I can't get a manicure and pedicure(my fave things to do), I can't do this, I can't do that. Needless to say I thought my life was coming to an end. I was overwhelmed and very sad. 

I quickly adjusted and was my happy self again, living life and coping with my diabetes, then I became very sick and was told my diabetes was no longer T2 its now T1....wait what? How can that happen? I was very angry, to make matter worse I was all by myself, no family members to hold my hands and tell me it would be ok. 

I had midterms coming up in 3days, school was very busy, had lots of papers (group projects) due. The endo and GP advised me to take some time off school, my parents told me to take the semester off and just focus on getting well. 

I decided not to take any time off, rescheduled my exams and was determined to continue with school and do very well also, at the end of that semester I had all As and I was very proud of myself. 

Today I have two degrees, one in Psychology and the other one in Human Resources.

I believe I can achieve whatever I want to achieve, diabetes can't stop me, it might make the process difficult or painful but it won't stop me from achieving my dreams.

I can do it all!

2 comments:

  1. Very motivated! I'm so happy for you that you were able to stick with things despite the diabetes diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's impressive for anyone to finish a school year with all A's. But you did it after being diagnosed with diabetes twice! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete